Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Regulating Bath Water Temperature

Last week I was vehemently against any statutory regulation of our bath water temperature (Daily Telegraph News, March 30th). Now I am unreservedly supportive of Labour MP Mary Creagh’s campaign.

A few days ago, I treated a one-year-old girl for severe scalding, she having fallen into a bath of very hot water. Only her head has been spared. At best, she will need skin grafts and be extensively scarred; at worst, she will die.

Unfortunately, allowing natural selection to take place and thus improve our gene pool, as suggested by Jonathan Phillips (Daily Telegraph Letters, 31st March), does not select out the immediate problem, i.e. the parents. Meanwhile, the innocent have to endure unspeakable suffering.

No comments:

The Power of Love

Looking through my writing archives for the month of March, I came across the following article, initially published in my weekly column for...