Thursday, April 30, 2009

Empty Rhetoric

When Gordon Brown became Prime Minister, I wrote the following poem, based on his own words. I think the verdict is now indeed 'empty rhetoric'!


Choleric Musings
(On the day Gordon Brown became Prime Minister)



‘I have heard the need for change.
…now let the work of change begin.’


Footage of journeys along The Mall;
political metamorphosis by Royal Assent.
Traditional photo-shoot at number 10
of this nation’s primary (Scottish) gent.

‘I remember words…which matter a great deal today:
“I will try my utmost”.’


Forgive a somewhat jaded view
from a veteran of decades past.
Successive governments have promised as much;
will your offerings be the ones to last?

‘I will build a government that uses all the talents.’

Are you capable of bringing stability?
Will your changes be climacteric?
Will patients see improvements they seek?
Are your sound-bites empty rhetoric?


© Copyright 2007 Dr Robert M Jaggs-Fowler

No comments:

The Power of Love

Looking through my writing archives for the month of March, I came across the following article, initially published in my weekly column for...