Saturday, January 21, 2006

Rats and Aquarians

As it is soon my birthday, I thought a little introspection would be an indulgence to be forgiven!

It was interesting to learn that I was born under the Chinese zodiac sign of the rat. Rather a sharp contrast in mammalian terms to my new-found daemon! Additionally, a concept rather different from my perception of myself as an Aquarian. A little research was therefore called for.

Contrary to the Western view of the rat, the Chinese hold the rodent in high esteem. In the Far East, rats are considered to be symbols of wealth and luck. Accolades such as being of exquisite taste, charming and quick witted are just a few of the rat's attributes.However, that said, they are also careful to look after their own interests. They have an agenda of their own and do what they can to bring it to fruition. They are hoarders but at the same time can be most generous to friends. Rats are observers rather than partakers, with a keen eye for new information and knowledge. They are quick to eschew boredom, preferring the stimulus of new challenges.

Today is, of course, the first day of the Astrological Sign of Aquarius, the Water Bearer. Supposedly with progressive minds and visions, Aquarians are considered to be philanthropic, humanitarian, near-geniuses. Happy
Whilst happy to give to needy causes, they also need plenty of their own space. They are considered born leaders rather than team-players. They can also be quirky to the point of being eccentric.

Well, I once again reserve judgment on all of this, lest I tie myself in knots trying to be a mixture of a black panther, a rat and an Aquarian all at the same time. Whatever I am in reality, I will leave my friends and acquaintances to judge for themselves. I am sure they have significant views!

In the meantime, I will look forward to the fresh opportunities of another year, being true to one of my favourite mottoes:
Carpe diem - Seize the Day

No comments:

The Power of Love

Looking through my writing archives for the month of March, I came across the following article, initially published in my weekly column for...